Wednesday 21 September 2016

The Ultrasound That Changed Our Lives.

My life was changed a year ago today, when I received the diagnosis that our baby boy would be born with spina bifida. He was born with an opening in his spine that required surgery when he was only 1 day old. I have to admit, one year ago, our family was frightened to learn all of the complications that could happen with a child born with spina bifida. The doctors told us the hard cold facts, your kids going to have paralysis, clubfeet, loss of bladder and bowel control. It also can cause learning disabilities to mental retardation, and sometimes an enlarged or abnormal head size.

It’s much easier to create optimism once you’ve had, or come to know a child with spina bifida. Our doctors didn’t tell us that we were going to love our child unconditionally like your other children. That we will experience joy being his parents and having him apart of our family. That he’d have a smile that light up a whole room, be a social butterfly and that he’d be the happiest baby around.

I find myself documenting his life and learning that he was born perfectly made, despite the imperfections we once feared. I am humbled that the lord would trust us with Oliver. And I am humbled that he believes that we are strong enough to be the parents he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment